1. Are you a hedgehog hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for hedgehog enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other hedgehog enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help us build a library of hedgie colors by posting a picture and description

Discussion in 'Hedgehog Colors' started by Patrick, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator Staff Member

Give as much info as you have/know so we can put together a comprehensive list made up of members hedgehogs! If you're not sure what color your hedgie is, post a picture so others can help identify him/her.
    Susan and Josh like this.
  2. Susan

Susan New Member

Media:
    This is Zoey, a Salt N' Pepper, Overo face/pinto face, Heterochromia eye hedgehog. She is quite special, if you see close enough, she has two different colored eyes which is very rare.

[​IMG]
  3. Josh

Josh HedgehogForums Admin Staff Member

Media:
    Wow. She's very pretty! That nose! How old is she there?
  4. Patrick

Wow, great specifics! The more details the better for folks to use this as a resource. Thanks @Susan!
  5. ellisrks01

ellisrks01 New Member

This is a white-bellied standard Grey color.
    it's a pretty common color. image.jpg
    Esther Marie Pearce and Patrick like this.
  6. Tuscadero

Tuscadero Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm told Phyllis is a reverse pinto cinnacot.
  7. Alex

Alex Member

ellisrks01 She doesn't look grey at all!!! She is way too light, she looks more brown or cinnamon than grey, Olive is WAYY darker and she isn't even grey
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  8. Alex

Alex Member

Olive is a Chocolate Algerian. She shows all the characteristics except mottled belly, but her legs have the different colors and are mottled. She is larger, has bigger ears, a perfect long teardrop shaped face and all other characteristics, like her quills that aren't banded, are cream instead of white, the bands on her quills between the darker color, are creamish brown, she has very distinctive cheek and eye patches as you can see in the picture, her skin below her quills is a lot darker than her quill color, it is a very dark grey almost black color. And she is quite a bit bigger than a lot of hedgehogs I have seen. She weighs in at 505 grams which is also her most ideal weight. She can only use a 12' wheel she is so big. She does have a patch of almost white quills on her side, but the skin underneath them isn't pink otherwise she would be a pinto. Pinto's have different colored patches of quills and skin. If the skin below her patch of lighter quills was pink or lighter she would indeed be a pinto.
    Although the term "Algerian'' is commonly used to refer to a species of hedgehog, the IHA also recognizes it as a separate color category from that of the White-Bellied colors. A hedgehog exhibiting the color traits of an Algerian may or may not exhibit the physical traits. (larger body, longer nose and larger ears) Since the two species have been interbred to produce the domestic hedgehog, the only true trait of the Algerian species left is the color as this does not mix with the colors of the White-Bellied species.
    Algerian colored hedgehogs can be easily distinguished by looking at the "eye" or "cheek" patches as shown on the left. If the hedgehog has cheek patches, then the hedgehog in question is in the Algerian color range. If it does not, then the hedgehog is in the White-Bellied range. This is a far more accurate means of identification than the older method of looking for "cream" or off-white colored quills, rather than the white quills of the White-Bellied species.
    • 1 Forehead Quill Banding
      The long, double-banded quills on the forehead are very helpful. If there is good, clean separation between the two bands, the hedgehog is in the White-Bellied colour grouping. If there is poor separation with a fair degree of colour or muddiness between the bands, then the colour is in the Algerian grouping.
    • 2 Skin Colour
      The skin colour over the back is another excellent means of identification. If after reviewing the standardized colour guide you find that your hedgehog's quill colour fits the description given for a particular colour, but that the skin colour is darker, you are likely looking at an Algerian colour. Algerian colours have a skin colour that is a full 5 shades darker than their White-Bellied counterparts. (see skin chart)
    • 3 Mask Colour
      Although the differences between mask colours in the two species is difficult to differentiate in colours in the Apricot to Algerian Chocolate range, (Algerian masks are somewhat lighter and more of a brownish tinge) they are very easy to distinguish in the Algerian Grey to Black range. The masks in these colours are considerably darker and extend well past the eye, almost to the point where the face meets the quill line at the side of the face. As well, many display "badger stripes," two stripes that extend from the mask, up the forehead between the eyes, to the quill line.
    • 4 Mottling
      Mottling of the skin on the underbelly (similar to birth marks) is another good indicator. While White-Bellied Salt & Pepper, Dark Grey and Grey (and their associated variants) can and oftentimes do have mottling, all other White-Bellied colours do not. All Algerian colours, on the other hand, can display mottling to some degree. A Cinnicot with mottling, for example, must be an Algerian Cinnicot.
    • 5 Eye Patches
      Eye patches are a very distinctive marking seen only in Algerian colours and the odd W.B.Champagne/Cinnicot. These are pale golden-brown patches of colour located just below the eye. They range in intensity from very pale and small in Algerian Champagne to a rich golden-brown and as much as 3/8 inch in diameter in the darker Algerian colours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. Patrick

Great details everyone! This is wonderful for folks looking for information about hedgehogs.
  10. Alex

Alex Member

I just edited my post if you are interested in what makes an algerian or have any questions
  11. Liandre

Liandre New Member

This is my Female Hedgie Sonic. Not sure what colour she is. Got her for about three days now.

=-)

Attached Files:

12. sapphira80

sapphira80 New Member

Sonic looks to be a gray or dark gray to me. Very cute girl!
  13. Lingo

Lingo New Member

Media:
    This is Kea, a Salt'n'Pepper Pinto. I think she is white-bellied.
    Kea.jpg
    DSCN5206.JPG
    DSCN5250.JPG
    Patrick likes this.
  14. Lingo

Lingo New Member

Media:
    And now I'd like to introduce my little Pale Apricot Snowflake, Lumi. She has Ruby Eyes.
    With her I have to admit that I am not half sure about Snowflake, she could also be an Pale Apricot White, since there are so many white quills. But the former color was the one given to me by my breeder.
    Lumi.jpg
    Lumi (1 von 1).jpg
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Patrick likes this.
  15. Lingo

Lingo New Member

Media:
    Last, but not least: Our beloved Albino, Skadi

Skadi.jpg
    Patrick likes this.
  16. Patrick

Beautiful hedgehogs. You've got a lovely array there. Great pictures of Kea and Lumi's coloring!
  17. Jason

Jason New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is Purgy. I don't know exactly what type he is but I thought his face was really cool and cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patrick likes this.